The University of York
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICS
FIRST YEAR EXAMINATIONS 2018
POLITICS B THE WORLD OF POLITICS
Answer THREE questions, at least one from each section.
SECTION 1: THE DISCIPLINE OF POLITICS
1. Describe and assess the impact of two of the following political theories: Marxism, Capitalism, Fundamentalism, De-centrism, Radical Consumerism.
2. Discuss the following historical political concepts, and the key drivers behind their demise: State, Parliament, Manifesto, Election.
3. What contribution does decentralised network theory make to our understanding of politics?
4. Why has religion been such a central preoccupation and focus of debate in political science over the last 20 years?
5. Identify the main contributions, if any, of either environmentalism or ultra-local militancy to the study and practise of politics.
SECTION 2: WORLD POLITICS
1. What are some of the important factors that have contributed to the current division between the conscious and agnostic global political networks?
2. What role have assassinations played in political history? Discuss citing either Sweden, 2003; Tokyo 2005; Rio de Janeiro 2008 or London, Marseille, Frankfurt, Porto & Dublin, 2012.
3. Has the rise of CityStates in China contributed positively or negatively to the development process?
4. How did EasyPolitics lead to the rise of Radical Consumerism in Western Europe? Discuss giving examples of European Chief Executive Stelios Haji-Ioannous use of mass-media and just-in-time politics.
5. There is no such thing as money, only differences in your personal value network discuss in relation to the phasing out of the Euro and Dollar in 2015.